Kingsvale, NSW 1963

Kingsvale, NSW 1963
A view of Kingsvale station, looking north towards Cowra c1963. Courtesy Ken Ames, "From Grease to Gold Braid".

Sunday 8 January 2012

Railway tourism

Hi all,
I've been having a great time exploring pioneer lines and discovering structures which have somehow survived the ravages of time in some form.  Sampling the Aussie pub cuisine and beer at the end of the day as well.  A great combination.

I made a few new discoveries today:

  • I know the Blayney - Demondrille line has been officially closed since 2009, but I noticed there is a stop sign and a sleeper across the branch near Demondrille station, which I hadn't seen before.  The scene continues to decay, as does North Box.  So glad I took all those photos 15 years ago when there was something left.
  • The North Jindalee back road, my favourite part of the Main South, which follows the old aligment of the line near Morrison's Hill.  This would be a great area for photography if there were a few more trains running in daylight.
  • The viaducts/approaches to the Murrumbidgee River bridge at Narrandera.  Very sad to see all this slowly disintegrating; what a lot of labour must have gone into all those iron-bark trestles.  I had never seen this before but it is an impressive and fascinating piece of railway archaeology.
  • Took some soil samples at Kingsvale and some more photos.  If modelling a particular location, I think at least two visits are necessary.  The second visit is for all those details you miss the first time!


Cheers
James.

Northern approach to Murrumbidgee river bridge at Narrandera.


A view of Kingsvale showing the loading bank and platform at the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment