Tuesday, 24 July 2012
No blog entries for a while, but I'm pleased to say this does not imply no modelling! I've had a few things on the go and with no uni this month, I've made fair progress, particularly with the landscaping at the northern approach to the yard.
Plaster cloth has been layed over the polystyrene form. Plaster has been added over this to strengthen the structure and to (visually) break up the surface. The plaster has been roughly sanded to knock off any sharp edges and shapes in the plaster that make it look like plaster, rather than earthworks.
Some Woodland Scenics washes have been added to the plaster, though I was experimenting here. In hindsight, I think the best use of this technique is for exposed rock. Underneath flock, gravel, soil etc acrylic paint is more effective. The access road to the yard is plain in this view.
This is the reverse view of the angle above, looking towards the station.
Here is the loading bank, a Sydney Hobbies polyurethane casting.
After adding flock and various Chuck's Ballast dusts, I was not happy with the colouring. It was far too brown, whereas the dirt road in this area are usually a yellow ochre colour, but quite pale. So I experimented with yellow oxide and plaster which worked quite well. It was a bit too yellow, particularly after spraying it with adhesive, and afterwards the surface was much too textured to look realistic. I knocked this down by sanding with 240 grit paper. This has been quite effective. The underlying dried plaster created some white dust which gives a more realistic colour, as you can see above. One thing I have learnt about landscaping is how forgiving it is. You can't undo much, but you can just keep laying down more layers until it looks right.
There are two areas which I have patched because the ground was un-prototypically uneven. They have not been coloured as yet. Overall, I reckon it's looking ok. It should look much better when I've added some scrub, blackberries and static grass.